My sister Dana (On the RIght) and I, and occasionally our friend Meghan (in the middle), have been making a habit of riding our bikes to the Farmer's Market on Sundays. We buy all the fresh produce and put it in our bike baskets for the ride home. We noticed after the two mile jaunt back that we had a bunch of bruised up, smashed produce.
Make a padded bike basket!
1) Find random fabric and old buttons around the house.
2) Make a rectangular base, just like a pillow. The batting went inside two layers of fabric. (measure the specific size of your basket)
3) Carefully measure the sides leaving extra fabric for the flaps to fold over the basket.
4) Sew the sides of the fabric basket onto the base and to each other.
5) Fold the edge of the flaps under to make a hem and sew around the border.
6) Using a button foot on the sewing machine sew in button holes, and cut the slit.
7) Give it a try on the bike and then sew on the actual buttons.
It looks very cute, can be taken off and washed, and keeps those precious fruits and veggies protected! It's also nice because it keeps tiny items (keys, cell phone, etc.) from falling through the basket!