Honestly it made the whole living and dining room look pretty cruddy. We decided as a brave engaged couple that we would reconstruct the molding. It would be good practice in "communicating" before our upcoming wedding, and believe me it was!
It took us a long time, and about 1,000 cuts with the compound mider saw. Eventually we ended up with the second picture. We painted the crown molding, then stained the dental piece to match the other wood in the room. For the ends we bought the medallions, constructed boxes out of them. We mostly added these because we couldn't figure out the proper angles to end the molding. I think it looks great and it compliments the other period details!
This quickly became my new favorite reading chair. So we hunted around to find the perfect reading lamp. The shade on this is made of Mica so it has a really neat glow that doesn't come across in pictures.